Can’t afford to whiten your teeth? Obsessed with having a whiter smile but nothing seems to work? Try these DIY tricks at home the next time you’re getting ready for a night out or catching up with the girls!
- IT’S ALL ABOUT THE LIPS
Here are some Dos and Don’ts when it comes to harnessing the make-up tricks to make your pearly whites as white as they can be!
When it comes to make-up, the logic behind which colour to choose is all about an optical illusion and how certain colours reflect on your teeth. Grab a blue-toned lipstick that will make your teeth look whiter. . This is all thanks to the color wheel —remember that thing from art class? Basically, blue sits opposite to orange and yellow on the color wheel, which means these two colours tend to cancel each other out when paired together. In short, if you wear a lipstick with a blue undertone, then any yellow stains on your teeth will be less noticeable. The blue hue reflects onto your teeth and since blue cancels out yellow, your teeth look whiter. In contrast, what you don’t want is any yellow toned lipsticks as they will make your teeth look more yellow. Thanks, science!
Now, blue-toned shades don’t necessarily mean that the lipstick itself is blue. This means that the undertones of the lip color are blue or purple. Think of dark cherry colors or bright fuchsias. These shades have similar qualities due to their undertone. It’s that simple! So, if you’re looking to have a brighter smile without actually brightening your teeth, turn to your favorite lip color.
Image source: Marie Claire
- Go for plums, berries, raspberries and rich deep reds and pinks which counteracts nicely to any yellow.
- Avoid: Orange, coral and brown undertones as they can reflect yellow on your teeth.
- The darker colours offer greater colour contrast to the teeth
- Avoid pale colours
- If you have fair skin, try a red stain instead of lipstick, and top with a sheer gloss. For darker skin, pick a deep burgundy.
- Choose: Glossy lip colours. Glossy, shiny lips means your teeth will look whiter because of the shiny reflections.
- Avoid: Matte lip colors as they can make your teeth look dull.
- Choose: Silver shimmer lipgloss as they enhance your smile.
- Avoid: Gold, yellow or bronze-toned shimmer as they reflect yellow on your teeth.
- If colour isn’t your thing and you prefer the nudes, sheer colours with a hint of gloss are the way to go.
For names of lipstick brands, go to: http://www.marieclaire.com/beauty/a13262/lipstick-shades-that-make-teeth-look-whiter/. Images re-posted from this site
What about the skin and eyes?
- Using a bronzer will accentuate the whiteness of your teeth.
- If you’re going to wear a coloured eyeshadow, cooler shades such as greens and purples can act as a great distraction from any yellow in your teeth.
2. WEAR THE RIGHT JEWELLERY
- Wear off-white jewellery.
- Wearing off-white, cream-coloured earnings are a big yes!
- Opt for pearl earrings or mother-of-pearl earrings too! Cream coloured necklaces are also great. They’re milky in color, so your smile will look especially white in comparison.
- Go for white gold or silver jewellery rather than yellow or rose gold accessorie. The yellow will reflect on your teeth.
3. KNOWING WHAT COLOUR CLOTHES TO WEAR
How to dress to make your pearly whites shine!
- Wear blue-toned clothes. Dark blue, dark purple and gray are natural highlighters for your smile. The color contrast will make your smile whiter.
- Avoid yellow, orange and brown colours.
Photo from: tuulavintage.com
Author: Dr Rita Trakhtman, cosmetic dentist, East St Kilda