When Dentist Barbie put on her lab coat in 1997, only 14% of dentists were women.
- 35% of registered dentists were women in 2011, according to the Australian dental workforce report, published by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare
- The number of female dentists has increased by 7 per cent compared with 2006 (29 per cent)
In the U.S.A:
- Only 1.1% of dental students were female in 1968.
- 15.9% of first-year dental students were women in 1978, , according to the American Dental Association.
- 47.7% of first-year dental students were female in 2014.
Who was Australia’s first female dentist?
Annie Praed. English born, University of Sydney graduate in the class of 1906. She was not a trail blazer, by she topped her year. By 1899 she was practicing as a dentist. In 1921 she started a solo practice later specialising in prosthodontics.