Getting children to brush their teeth can sometimes be a never-ending battle. Negations, bribes and tantrums are common. Here is a unique way of teaching your kids the importance of brushing .
Make it a fun experience. Kids love colour and are visual learners. Plaque disclosing tablets are a great and fun way to teach kids the areas that they are neglecting when they brush. Plaque disclosing tablets turn the plaque into a bright pink or blue colour so that it makes plaque (normally invisible) turn bright and colourful.
What are plaque disclosing tablets?
Plaque disclosing tablets are an excellent aid to help identify plaque. Safe and simple. Great for kids (and adults too!).
How to use plaque disclosing tablets?
- Before using a plaque-disclosing product, get your kids to brush as usual.
- Chew a tablet and let it mix with the saliva in your mouth, then swish the saliva around for about 30 seconds and spit it out.
- The plaque on the teeth, gums and tongue become bright in colour, usually a bright pink or blue colour.
- Now that you see the areas that need some more TLC, your kids brush them off until there is no more colour visible.
Image from: HEMERA/THINKSTOCK
How often should my kids use them?
- About every 2-4 weeks get them to chew on the tablet, until you see a big improvement. I suggest taking selfies and compare the selfies. What you are looking for is improvement and you want as little colour as possible.
Where do I buy plaque disclosing tablets?
You can get plaque disclosing tablets in many pharmacies.
What are they made of?
They are made of vegetable dye, such as Phloxine B or erythrosine based.
How else can I do to get my kids to brush for longer?
Listen to their favourite song. Songs go for about 2 minutes which is the right amount of time kids should be brushing their teeth.